Friday, September 24, 2010

Dining Room drama

My husband is out of town picking up a family heirloom dining set for us to restore.  While I wish he was home (I'm going into labor any minute now), I'm really excited about our new furniture, and I've got dining rooms on the brain.

This is not necessarily a good thing.

But instead of actually buying anything I shouldn't - I'll just share where my brain is taking me.

The dining table is large enough to seat 8-10 with leaves in, but only has 4 chairs. The seats are currently covered in century-old black leather that's beginning to show it's age.  I'd like to stick with something easy to clean, maybe a faux ostrich leather?  Maybe in Navy?


  I found this loveseat on KSL classifieds for $75.  I can't tell if it's real leather or not, but I think it'd make a great banquette along one side of the table, and be an easy-to clean surface.  All it appears to need is a few upholstery nailheads where they've gone missing.


Add a long colorful (more coordinated than the one shown below) bolster pillow and it's just about perfect.


I have become completely smitten with this rug on ebay.  $375 is steep for me right now, but for a persian rug this size in this condition, it's a steal.  And the colors are insanely gorgeous.












 Add a Buffet/Server with a limed finish, with white and silver serving ware, plus a spattering of colorful pieces, possibly a collection of mosser cake stands: 




Either side of the buffet will have perfect little lamps trimmed in blue grosgrain instead of the olive green,  and green slag candlesticks with pink tapers: 



Wall Color - a pale blue-gray like Farrow and Ball's Borrowed Light



Art - I've got this floral painting rolled up under my bed, waiting to be stretched and framed:


Plus an image or two (or some ephemera if I can find any) reminiscent of turn-of-the-century dining halls... 



Curtains in a bold navy horizontal stripe, with red or yellow trim on the leading edge.  
(image via Jenny Komenda)

(via etsy)


And someday I need a dining room just so I can start collecting and displaying Aynsley China....

in a hutch like this:

(Jenny Komenda.... again)

And if this dining room is set for guests, I'll need a Saipua-esque centerpiece

delivery_august19

in the midst of a toned-down Eddie Ross-esque table setting


Just brainstorming...... and swooning over the rug........

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...